A 100% employee-owned company with a 123-year history in the water/wastewater business. Our Kansas City office is looking for a talented employee-owner to serve as a Staff Engineer to support our municipal water/wastewater pipelines Systems Department.
The Staff Civil / Pipeline Engineer will be responsible for understanding, applying, and designing waterline and/or sewer line projects. Staff Engineer will be developing new opportunities and working with Federal Agencies such as the Department of Defense and Energy, as well as Manufacturers serving Federal clients to help them with unique challenges involving sanitary and industrial wastewater distribution and collection. Past projects have included working on developing a new Base wide fire water or potable water distribution system, designing sanitary sewer lift stations for major parts of an installation or just one building, designing industrial sewer lift stations to help convey industrial waste coming from aircraft hangars or manufacturing sites, designing industrial or sanitary wastewater collection piping.
- Perform water and sewer pipeline design of projects from the conceptual phase through design completion for project needs and requirements that are set forth by the project managers.
- Prepare civil equipment: packaged equipment and construction specifications and data sheets, Request's for Qualifications (RFQ's), technical bid summaries, and purchase recommendations.
- Review vendor drawings; data interface with suppliers, clients other engineering disciplines, detailers, designers.
- Applies knowledge of commonly used civil concepts, practices, codes, and procedures within the water engineering services industry. Compiles studies and reports. Writes specifications.
- Applies knowledge to complex projects, find's/develops non-standard design solutions.
- Performs field inspections, installation, measurements, or calculations for public and private clients.
- Prepare, present, and/or participate in technical reports for clients and industry publications.
- Develop opinions of probable costs based on design plans and specifications.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and instruction to the water/wastewater practice. Mentor and guide less experienced engineers.
- Responsible for applying the QA/QC process.
- Responsible for effective communication with other engineering disciplines.
- Responsible for compliance with company and site safety policies.
- All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications - External
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering or related degree from an ABET-accredited program (water or civil curriculum focus preferred)
- OR Bachelor of Science in Civil or related Engineering Technology from an ABET-accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Minimum 3 years of civil engineering experience; design and construction administration of water/wastewater systems preferred.
- Successful completion (i.e. passing) FE or EIT preferred.
- Knowledge in standard engineering design techniques and procedures. Understanding of related water transmission mains, water distribution systems, and/or wastewater collection system design preferred.
- Strong computer skills and/or hydraulic civil analysis programs.
- Experience working with Federal Agencies strongly preferred.
- Experience with permitting of waterlines and sewer lines through local, state, and federal regulators preferred.
- Trenchless and/or tunneling experience is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Strong commitment to working in a team environment
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills, ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment.
- Strong attention to detail and quality control procedures.
- Valid driver's license required. In addition, must meet standards to qualify for and maintain the Company's vehicle driving privileges as outlined in the Company's Motor Vehicle Safety Policy.
- Ability to travel.