Some key duties and responsibilities include:
- Act as Lead Designer on projects and is able to analyze and design simple structures using engineering judgement, computer software, spreadsheets and hand calculations
- Prepare project specifications and verify that design meets code requirements
- Calculate costs and time schedules for proposed work; review all files to determine scope and personnel involved
- Maintain good client relations, project design notebook, and provide documentation for permanent record files
- Coordinate design and schedule with other disciplines such as architectural, structural, electrical, technology, clerical and equipment suppliers
- Document design decisions, meetings, and instructions from client promptly while monitoring project design progress as related to fee expended
- Review all project documents for accuracy and completeness prior to requesting a final check
- Prepare and issue addendum information
- Recognize potential project problems quickly and seek advice from the Project Manager
- Review design methods, procedures, changes in scope, and client correspondence with the Project Manager
- Conduct periodic job site observations and all other services as required by the contract services agreement
- Mentor designers and/or modelers.
Key skills and abilities needed for the position are:
- Mastery of the technical aspects of one's discipline
- A demonstrated aptitude for managing projects
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office programs, CAD software and BIM
- Ability to clearly communicate in both oral and written communication to individuals or groups.
Education and experience requirements are:
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering
- Master's degree in Structural Engineering preferred
- A minimum of six years of qualifying experience
- PE / SE required
- A minimum twelve years of qualifying experience with no bachelor's degree.