Building sciences as related to performance aspects of building envelopes. In depth design, manufacturing, and installation knowledge about: Glazed wall systems, panel walls and other fenestration elements. Point supported and structural sealant glazed glass. Unitized, semi-unitized and stick curtain wall systems. Hurricane, tornado and blast resistant wall systems. Masonry, stone facades and cast stone. Portland cement plaster, GFRC, FRP and EIFS systems. Sealants, waterproofing, insulation and fire safing.
Sound knowledge of building materials, field investigation methods, and scientific principles as they relate to building envelope performance. Codes, technical standards and 3-part technical specifications. Commissioning practices. Climatic and environmental influences in multiple regions. Costs of materials and labour. Prior art, current art and emerging art. Means and methods, best practices. Construction contract processes, practices and administration. Materials and finishes properties and durability. Performance testing and QC testing. Common modes of premature building envelope failure. Case history of successful installations and products.
- Prospecting, proposing, presenting and selling.
- Provides thorough evaluations and reviews based on one or more criteria sets.
- Accomplished researcher and investigator.
- Provides effective, constructible and practical solutions.
- Customer service and client retention skills - meets or exceeds client expectations.
- Project management, time/schedule management, risk and budget management. · Task planning and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent communicator (both verbal and written).
- Management of internal and external resources.
- Coaching, teaching and training.
- Tactfully maintains project team focus on meeting the specified criteria.
- Recognizes and detects conforming or non-conforming work.
- Diagnoses causation(s) of water intrusion or other deficiencies.
- Building envelope and fenestration system design.
- Strong computer skills including CADD, THERM, Mathcad, Microsoft Office and other computerized solutions that are commonly used within this industry. Willingness to learn and adapt to changing technologies, and with various methods of electronic file transfer.
- Produces legible hand made notations and sketches.
- Seek out proposal opportunities.
- Manage client relationships
- Define scope, estimate and prepare professional services proposals.
- Sell and manage work.
- Manage and be responsible for budgets (hours and dollars), and forecasting. Communicate additional services requests to clients ahead of time so that payment for additional service efforts and expenses is cleared prior to expending efforts and expenses.
- Prepare change orders for added scope or services.
- Supervise, coach, teach and train internal and external resources.
- Stay current with new and emerging technologies, convey to WS colleagues.
- Work in the field and travel by air, train and automobile as projects require.
- Observe building envelopes at heights from aerial lift equipment and stages.
- Apply building sciences as related to performance aspects of building envelopes.
- Assist clients with building envelope design.
- Prepare construction documents or peer review documents prepared by others.
- Prepare or peer review 3 part technical specifications.
- Review trade contractor proposals, qualifications, exclusions and submittals.
- Observe and report on building envelope testing and construction.
- Provide building envelope condition assessments and probable costing.
- Prepare reports with captioned photographs and other technical reports.
- Provide commissioning services.
- Provide repair or remediation designs to include probable costing.
- Remain active in professional organization