Summary: One of the largest renewable energy owners in the US is leading the transition to a world powered by clean energy. They own and operate more than 8 gigawatts of renewable and conventional energy assets across the country. As they develop a nationwide pipeline of new renewable energy projects for the future, their 5.6 gigawatts of wind, solar, and energy storage assets offset the equivalent of more than 10.5 million metric tons of carbon emissions for their customers today.
The role is responsible for valuation, due diligence, negotiation, and execution of utility scale clean energy (wind, solar, energy storage, and green hydrogen) acquisition opportunities as well as strategy, structuring, and pricing support for development and power marketing. This role is primarily focused on markets in the central part of the country (ERCOT, SPP, and MISO) but will collaborate regularly with colleagues covering the west and east regions.
Hybrid work at one of the various locations:
- San Francisco, CA
- Carlsbad, CA
- Houston, TX
- Denver, CO
- Scottsdale, AZ
The Business Development Manager will be responsible for:
- Manage the project acquisition process: support origination, structuring, due diligence, and closing of solar, wind, energy storage, and green hydrogen project acquisitions as a key member / leader of a transaction team.
- Work with development, engineering, and capital market teams to ensure accurate capture of key inputs and conformance with underwriting guidelines, investment metrics and forecasted cash flows. Run sensitivity analyses and generate ideas to optimize valuations and transaction structures.
- Play a lead role in driving strategy and execution in emerging growth segments including green hydrogen/ammonia, non-traditional offtake, and standalone storage.
- In consultation with external and internal resources, develop market assessments, production cost models, analytical tools, and business cases for early investments in emerging growth segments.
- Support formation and ongoing management of strategic partnerships with major equipment suppliers, operators, investors, project developers, and other value chain participants.
- Support on-going origination, development, and financing activities for projects that the company owns.
- Support pricing analysis and bidding strategy to originate offtake contracts for the 25 GW+ development portfolio of utility scale wind, solar, and energy storage projects.
- Lead strategic initiatives aimed at improving analytical tools and informing key business activities.
The Business Development Manager should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree required in finance, business administration, economics, or engineering. Master's Degree, CFA, or other ongoing education a plus.
- 4+ years of relevant work or internship experience at a U.S. solar, wind, or energy storage development company / Independent Power Producer in a M&A, finance, or development role with specific focus on financial modeling and valuation or relevant, transferable experience in investment banking or private equity (or similar).
- Experience navigating discounted cash flow models is required.
- Experience with VBA or other programming languages is a bonus.
If interested in the position, please do not hesitate to apply!