The automation design team at this firm moves fast. They are looking for a talented and ambitious Controls Engineer who can join a small team full time and various part-time mechanical, controls, and electrical engineers and immediately contribute.
This firm is actively growing and taking on new projects. As these projects grow in quantity and scope, further management resources are needed. In this role, the Controls Engineer will take ownership of the end-to-end control system development and delivery of one or more systems. With multiple automation projects going on at the same time, engineers at this firm will experience all aspects of the custom equipment lifecycle on a regular basis.
- Immediately contribute to a small, fast-paced interdisciplinary manufacturing automation design team
- Be a project owner, managing and individually contributing to controls work based on customer specifications.
- Advanced proficiency in programming industrial process and manufacturing equipment:
- Must have an in-depth understanding of control systems and components.
- PLC/HMI programming, design from scratch
- Manage HMI development and Design to optimize data exchange and general system usability.
- Participate in the execution of start-up, commissioning, acceptance, and process development activities.
- Program PLCs (Primarily Allen Bradley MicroLogix and CompactLogix series), HMIs (Wonderware InTouch, AB PanelView, Proface)
- Ability to program state machines, data acquisition, and PID control. Proven ability to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery.
- Configuration of controls networks including: Field bus Networks (ProfiNet,, DeviceNet, Ethernet/IP, Safety rated field bus networks)
- Serial communication (RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, ProfiBus, BacNet) between PLCs and instruments and microcontrollers
- Establish Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems as well as 3rd party ethernet devices.
- Relevant experience in process engineering
- Highly proficient in Rockwell RSLogix 500 & 5000
- Commissioning and startup of control systems
- Client interaction skills
- Familiarity with a broad range of manufacturing methods and practices
- Knowledge of relevant national electrical and industrial safety standards and design specifications
- Ability to create electrical schematics and P&IDs
- Pneumatics design and system integration
- Experience integrating robotics into complex system designs.
- Basic electrical engineering concepts/understanding
- Familiarity with 3D modeling principles
- Project management tools (JIRA, etc.) and demonstrated management experience.
- S. in Engineering field - Chemical, Electrical, Control Systems, Computer Science, etc. highly preferred and/or evidence of exceptional experience
- 3+ Years experience in a controls engineering position
- History of successfully solving complex problems
- Must be able to work independently, stay organized, communicate with end users, communicate with vendors, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Candidate must possess good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact professionally with all levels of co-workers, management, and clients.
- Ability to dive deep into new processes to become a technical expert on the subject matter, even with no prior background.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks, have excellent attention to detail, and be willing and able to learn new technologies quickly.