Company Summary: This renewable energy company is a distributed generation platform accelerating decarbonization across the country. As a developer and IPP, they deliver clean energy solutions to multifamily properties, C&I rooftops, all types of households and businesses through community solar. The past years, they acquired well known C&I solar developer and since have developed over 500 solar projects from the Northeast all the way to Hawaii.
Position Summary: As a member of the Finance and Accounting team, the Assistant Controller/Controller will be reporting into the Vice President of Finance and Accounting. The Assistant Controller/Controller will play a crucial role in managing the financial operations of the company and ensuring compliance with GAAP. The successful candidate will lead a team the accounting team and be responsible for overseeing the month-end close process, preparing financial statements, establishing internal controls, and providing financial analyses to support decision-making.
Location: New York City, NY (hybrid work, wfh Mondays and Fridays)
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of GAAP and ensure adherence to accounting standards throughout the organization.
- Research accounting issues and propose appropriate accounting treatments to ensure compliance with GAAP.
- Manage accounting team, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general accounting staff, providing guidance, training, and supervision as necessary.
- Lead the 5-day month-end close process, coordinating with cross-functional teams to gather financial data, reviewing journal entries, reconciling accounts, and preparing accurate and timely financial statements.
- Prepare and consolidate financial statements, including the balance sheet, income statement, and cash flow statement, to provide a comprehensive view of the company's financial performance and position.
- Establish and maintain internal controls to safeguard company assets, ensure accurate financial reporting, and mitigate risks of fraud or errors.
- Conduct monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial analyses, reviewing variances, identifying trends, and presenting findings to management for informed decision making.
- Assist with annual budget process, working closely with VP of Finance and Accounting. Ensure actuals are posted to the correct budget line item.
- Analyze and report cost variances, comparing actual costs to budgeted costs, and providing insights to management for cost control measures.
- Act as a liaison to external auditors during the annual audit process, preparing audit schedules, responding to inquiries, and providing necessary documentation.
- Supervise the accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general accounting departments, ensuring accurate and efficient operations while providing guidance and support to team members.
- Develop and implement strategies to significantly reduce accounts receivable (AR)
The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
- CPA certification is required.
- Minimum of 7 years accounting experience in a leading accounting firm, with advanced understanding of GAAP and financial management principles.
- Proficient in researching and analyzing complex GAAP related issues, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Proven experience leading month-end close processes and preparing financial statements.
- Strong knowledge of internal controls and financial analysis techniques.
- Proficiency in accounting software and ERP systems (e.g., SAP, Oracle, etc.).
If interested in this position, please do not hesitate in submitting an application!