This position will involve performing traffic and intelligent transportation systems (ITS) design for transportation projects. Assignments will include traffic control device (TCD) and ITS device/system design, identifying and developing creative technical solutions, and preparing technical reports and presentations. Candidates must have excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills and have the ability to be highly responsive to clients. A candidate's experience in, or a strong desire to develop oversight, mentorship, and staff management support skills is a bonus.
This traffic & ITS design position includes assignments such as TCD design (signals, lighting, signing, and pavement markings, ITS device (CCTV, DMS, RWIS, O/D & speed sensors, LPR, etc.), power, communications and system/control design, maintenance of traffic (MOT) and detour design, and traffic operations studies.
Project assignments can range from small-scale intersection improvements to complex interchanges and corridors for design-bid-build, design-build, and P3 projects. Project scopes range from task oriented TCD & ITS designs; major highway and bridge insert projects requiring coordinated TCD/ITS/MOT designs; technical evaluation reports for planning of TCD & ITS systems; and MOT designs in support of infrastructure projects.
Our clientele includes a wide range of state and local agencies, including numerous MDOT SHA offices and divisions, MDTA, Baltimore City, numerous Maryland counties, DelDOT, and VDOT.
Position may include work at a client site.
- BSCE degree required
- A minimum of 5 to 10 years of traffic engineering experience with a focus in traffic control devices and ITS design
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) preferred (MD registration desired)
- Certified Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) a bonus
- Proficiency in traffic control device and ITS design and review, including signals, lighting, singing, pavement markings and intelligent transportation systems
- Experience working with MicroStation and/or AutoCAD
- Familiarity with MUTCD, MDMUTCD, AASHTO and MDOT SHA standards and guidelines
- Exceptional communication, technical writing, presentation and organizational skills
- Positive attitude and willingness to work cooperatively with others