Job Title: Structured Finance Associate
Location: San Francisco, CA
Company Summary: This renewable energy developer is a leading clean-tech company, who develops, finances, owns and operates utility-scale and distributed solar and storage projects across the country. The company was recently acquired by a large, publicly-traded private equity firm - and is ramping up its financing activities to support increased growth of its development and M&A platforms. Fostering a diverse group of innovative thinkers from all backgrounds, employees are drawn to work in a purpose-driven organization.
Position Summary: This developer is seeking a talented and highly motivated individual to support our solar and battery storage project financing activities. The Associate will be a critical member of deal teams, with primary focus on being accountable for the financial modeling of our transactions, engaging and negotiating with capital providers, and playing a lead role in coordinating the presentation of proposed transactions to the company's Investment Committee and other company executives. This position additionally plays a critical project management role for our projects in the months approaching financial close. Associates own the project budget and schedule for our assets as they near completion of development, and are charged with ensuring project development, engineering, O&M and other teams are coordinated in advancing the progress of our projects through financial close and the completion of project construction.
The Structured Finance Associate will be responsible for:
- Analyze solar project investment opportunities utilizing traditional economic criteria such as unlevered and levered investment returns and understanding specific inputs or levers that are the key value drivers on the valuation of energy/infrastructure projects.
- Prepare and own all aspects of the financial models for project financing transactions, inclusive of portfolios of community solar projects through solar and storage projects at the multiple hundreds of megawatts scale
- Serve as the quarterback of project execution, leading weekly cross functional meetings for each of the projects the Associate is staffed on, with specific focus on maintaining the project timeline and evaluating key risks that could lead to delays
- Create presentations and other materials for key stakeholders including executive management and external financing parties.
- Manage internal and external project diligence and transaction timelines.
- Mentor and provide guidance to analysts on the team
- Work closely with the company's Capital Markets & M&A functions to review and execute on new corporate financing and project M&A opportunities for the company
- Work independently as well as collaboratively with various internal subject matter experts to manage substantive issues around tax, accounting, financing, structuring, and legal considerations impacting transactions in solar and battery storage project finance
The Structured Finance Associate should have the following qualifications:
- BA/BS degree (MBA or other relevant graduate degrees welcome)
- 3-5 years of finance experience required, preferably in renewable energy (investment banking, project finance, or corporate M&A experience is a plus)
- Familiarity with tax equity structures utilized in the solar industry
- Strong credit, financial analysis, quantitative, and modelling skills
- Self-motivated with a high level of initiative and accountability
- Ability to work well with multiple teams across functions and offices throughout the US
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (verbal & written) and ability to think on feet to defend positions and decisions
- Attention to detail & organizational skills (including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and deliver results under tight deadlines)
- Strong ethics & integrity
- Desire to contribute professionally and personally to a dynamic and motivated team environment dedicated to making solar more competitive by optimizing financing executions, and having fun doing it
- Solution-driven, proactive and innovative
- Eagerness to learn and take on more responsibilities and advance into a Director-level position at an industry leading solar and storage developer after demonstrating sufficient mastery of the craft
If interested in the position, please do not hesitate to apply!