My client, a multi-disciplinary engineering & architecture firm in NYC is looking for a Senior Registered Architect to add to their growing and prosperous team. This opportunity includes ownership and is a director level position where a candidate will be using their licensure for stamping, managing a team of 8 - 10 people and engaging with clients, alongisde providing direction and mentorship.
My client has not laid off a single person during this time, and is looking to add someone in a director level position due to backlog of work and growing needs. You DO NOT need to have a book of business to bring with you.
As part of this position, once trust is established, there will be an opportunity for ownership within the firm, which, at the rate the firm is going, could grow exponentially over the next few years.
This position requires a high level of technical design expertise in Building Enclosure Systems. While the technical requirements are fundamental to the role, the successful applicant will possess strong communication skills allowing them to effectively express ideas, design intent, code requirements, and sometimes challenging opinions, to fellow staff, clients, building owners, contractors, agency officials, and others with varying levels of technical understanding.
While a portion of the work is carried out in-office, much of it is also spent in meetings with ownership, management, and design team members and at buildings and/or at the construction site in prevailing weather year-round for inspections and construction meetings. You must be willing to schedule and travel to site visits and perform visual inspections via scaffolding, roof, etc.
To be successful in this role, you must...
- Have professional licensure as a RA in good standing and in active status in New York State (Licensure in other states in addition to NYS is a plus)
- Be willing and able to sign and seal documents, and to competently, conscientiously, and ethically execute all responsibilities as the…
- Architect of Record (AOR)
- Qualified Exterior Wall Inspector (QEWI) - or your are prepared to work towards your QEWI, and/or
- Special Inspector (SI).
- Have at least Ten (10) years of design experience as a Licensed Design Professional*
- Have at least Five (5) years of design experience focused on Building Enclosure Technologies (New and/or existing building construction) *
- Effectively communicate ideas, opinions and decisions
- Effectively perform risk analysis for field conditions / existing conditions that may pose a threat to life safety, and to communicate this information clearly to multiple audiences (staff, agency officials, contractors, clients/owners, emergency personnel, etc.) with varying levels of technical understanding
- Possess strong ability in visualization and graphic communication
- Have fluency in AutoCAD and/or Revit and/or BIM*
- Possess excellent experience in developing façade scope of work, producing Bid and Construction Documents - including drawings, details, specifications, and bid forms, and managing the Construction Administration process - including addressing field conditions in a pragmatic, expeditious manner
- Have acquired depth and breadth of experience through all phases of design, bidding/leveling process, value engineering phases, filing with multiple agencies (DOB, DOT, MTA, LPC), construction administration phases, and project close-out
- Be able to identify creative and pragmatic solutions, often balancing owner budget/scheduling constraints while maintaining adherence to code and industry requirements and professional ethics.
- Possess advanced knowledge of and skillful ability to interpret Building Codes and applicable Industry Standards, in particular the NYC Building Code, NYC Energy Conservation Code, and Façade Inspection & Safety Program (FISP)
- Have significant experience with curtainwall, panel wall & veneer, EIFS and masonry relevant to Special Inspection - especially related to the investigation and inspection of exterior envelope systems and materials
- Have a strong aptitude with managing internal staffing, budgets, and schedules - as well as project/client budgets and schedules.
- Demonstrate a strong affinity towards mentorship and leadership - to act as a strong mentor and supervisor by providing design expertise and leadership to staff
- Demonstrate professional conduct with all clients, contractors, etc. and promoting connections within the industry.
- Be NYC DOB Supported Scaffold Certified**
- Be NYC DOB Suspended Scaffold Certified**
- Be OSHA 10 Hour Construction Certified (renewed per NYC DOB requirements) **
- Ten (10) years or more of design experience in Building Enclosure Technologies
- Historic Restoration / Preservation project experience
- Experience with coordination submissions to the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission. Familiarity with Historic Codes
- Advanced management experience with refined skills in client relations, project coordination, and resource management.
- AIC Professional Associate/Fellow Architectural Conservator
- RCI Certifications
- ICC Certification as a Structural Masonry Special Inspector
- AWCI Certification as an EIFS inspector.
- Experience and qualifications as a Special Inspector for Curtain walls, wall panels, and veneer per NYC Building Code.