Essential Functions: The Safety Compliance Officer must be detailed, organized, and have a positive attitude with strong problem solving skills.
The Safety Compliance Officer works closely with the Project Manager, Superintendent, Foremen, subcontractors, government designated authorities, owners, and safety professionals from various agencies. The primary duty is to create, implement and enforce the companies Safety Program to reduce the risk of accidents and comply with Federal OSHA, Cal OSHA and the EM 385-1.
It is the responsibility of the Safety Compliance Officer to determine which policies are necessary for the job site and how to enforce them.
* Continuous inspection of projects sites to identify hazards and correct (and/or arrange for correction of) hazards.
* Work closely with project supervision (Project Managers, Superintendents, Foreman) to maintain a safe jobsite. Promote safe practices on site.
* Identify training needs.
* Works as a liaison with project management, owner staff, Fed OSHA, Cal OSHA, insurance brokers, loss control staff, and safety equipment vendors.
* Assist foreman with JSA/AHA/TST development and administration of its programs.
* Inspect to ensure that all required documentation is posted at all jobsites.
* Monitor that all daily jobsite documentation to ensure compliance with company and regulatory agencies requirements; and assess hazards and coordinate corrective actions.
* Administer safety incentive program.
* Inspect that tools, equipment, and PPE are in good order.
* Ensure that all safety reports are submitted to related government institutions. * Point person for any OSHA-mandated site evaluations.
* Assist jobsite management with discipline procedure, track all safety violations and recommend correct action.
* Investigate and document all injuries, incidents and near hits. May escort employee(s) for treatment and medical evaluation as necessary.
* Conduct and coordinate safety training for all jobsite employees to include Covid protocols, CPR and First Aid, Forklift Operator, Excavations and Trenching, Fall Protection, Confined Space, Crane Operator Certification, among others.
* Inspect that Material Safety Data log is updated and maintained.
* Carry out drills and exercises on managing emergency situations.
* Test effectiveness of site emergency response plan.
* Respond to employee safety concerns.
Skills & Qualifications:
* High School diploma required; college degree preferred.
* CHST is required.
* Familiarity with the requirements of the Navy's EM-385-1-1 and performing work on a Government installation preferred or the ability to secure EM-385.
* Minimum of (3) years of continuous construction industry safety experience in supervising / managing general construction safety programs or processes or conducting hazard analyses and developing controls.
* Must be able to produce a copy of an instructor-signed OSHA 30-hour training card from at least one of the following: o 30-Hour OSHA General Industry safety class. o 30-Hour OSHA Construction Industry safety class. o Formal construction safety and health training covering the subjects of the OSHA 30- hour course.
* Maintain required competency through having taken at least 8 hours of documented formal safety and health related coursework every year. Examples of continuing education activities that meet this requirement include: Writing an article, teaching a class, reading/writing professional articles, attendance/participation in professional societies/meetings, etc.
* CPR and First Aid certified or authorized trainer
If you feel you need these qualifications and are interesting in hearing more about the role, please do not hesitate to apply