Job Title: Business Development Associate
Summary: One of the largest renewable energy owners in the US is leading the transition to a world powered by clean energy. They own and operate more than 8 gigawatts of renewable and conventional energy assets across the country. As they develop a nationwide pipeline of new renewable energy projects for the future, their 5.6 gigawatts of wind, solar, and energy storage assets offset the equivalent of more than 10.5 million metric tons of carbon emissions for their customers today.
As a key member of an established team of investment and project development professionals, the Associate will have responsibility for supporting commercial strategy for utility-scale wind, solar, and battery assets under development as well as the valuation, due diligence, and execution of project acquisition opportunities. This role is primarily focused on markets in the western part of the country but will collaborate regularly with colleagues covering the central and east regions.
The Business Development Associate will be responsible for:
- Asset origination and acquisition: Support origination, structuring, and closing of high-quality, profitable solar, wind and storage acquisitions as a key member of a transaction team.
- Own the project financial model. Work with Capital Markets, Engineering, and Development teams to ensure conformance with underwriting guidelines, investment metrics and forecasted cash flows. Run sensitivity analyses and generate ideas to optimize valuation.
- Coordinate with functional teams on due diligence and financial model inputs to qualify project investments prior to executing acquisition documents.
- Prepare detailed memos and presentations for senior management and investment committee.
- Create and manage tools to monitor market activity and track internal origination strategy to identify new growth areas and M&A targets.
- Support on-going origination, development, and financing activities for projects:
- Support pricing analysis and bidding strategy to originate off-take contracts for company's 25GW+ development portfolio of utility wind, solar, and storage projects.
- Develop statistical analyses to quantify risk in highly structured transactions.
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis to work out impediments to negotiations and closings.
- Work with functional groups, third party consultants, and various other stakeholders to drive projects forward and perform quantitative analyses to support development and financing decisions.
- Develop additional functionality for new and innovative financial structures (in excel and VBA) and improve existing quantitative analyses and tools.
The Business Development Associate should have the following qualifications:
- A driven self-starter with strong problem-solving and communication skills.
- Strong aptitude for analytical and financial modeling with demonstrated attention to detail. Advanced capabilities in Excel and PowerPoint are essential.
- Excellent oral, written, and visual communication skills. Ability to summarize complex issues and identify opportunities or next steps is critical.
- Robust organizational skills with a mindset towards pursuing simple and efficient solutions.
- Ability to manage simultaneous projects/work streams, set priorities, and exercise independent judgment.
- Interest in developing leadership skills and desire to grow personally and professionally within our organization.
- Bachelor's Degree with a strong academic record from a leading undergraduate program in finance, business administration, economics, engineering, or computer science. Master's Degree, CFA, or other ongoing education a plus.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in a finance or a development role with specific focus on financial modeling.
- Fundamental knowledge in renewable energy, clean tech, power markets, or infrastructure finance with prior internship (or similar) experience in these fields.
- Experience navigating discounted cash flow models is required.
- Experience with VBA or other programming languages is a bonus.
If interested in the position, please do not hesitate to apply!